VLC 3.0 is out now. Latests version which code name is “Vetinari” is available for download which consists of major improvements.
Some of the features are:
- VLC 3.0 activates hardware decoding by default, to get 4K and 8K playback!
- Supports 10bits and HDR
- Supports 360 video and 3D audio, up to Ambisoncics 3rd order
- Allows audio passthrough for HD audio codecs
- Can stream to Chromecast devices, even in formats not supported natively
- Can play Blu-Ray Java menus: BD-J
- VLC supports browsing of local network drives and NAS
let’s directly jump into the method to install it in your linux operating system.
How to install VLC 3.0 on Linux
If you are not using Ubuntu 16.04, then you might need to enable Snap package support.
sudo apt install snapd
Now you can install VLC:
sudo snap install vlc
How To Install VLC 3.0 On Ubuntu using PPA
Use the command mentioned below to install latest version of vlc:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install vlc