Insight: Install Inkscape On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Using PPA
Inkscape is a popular free open source vector graphics editor. It is a cross platform editor which is often considered as an alternative to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, or Xara X. One of the interesting feature of this tool is that it uses Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), an open XML-based W3C standard, as the native format.
In this tutorial post, we will show you the method to install Inkscape on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS using PPA.
At the time of this article writing, latest version is Inkscape 0.92.3. Some of the improvement in latest version of Inkscape:
Command line usage
Three new command line options controlling page size are supported when exporting in SVG format:
--export-area-drawing(feature requests in bug #1597921 and bug #1722844)
Support for switching between RTL and LTR writing directions has been added.
- Fix shortcuts not working as expected on systems with non-latin primary keyboard layout. (Bugs #1226962, #1730246, #1734308)
- Fix crash when attempting to drag path at cap or line join. (Bug #1691406)
- Inkscape process did not exit cleanly on Windows. (Bugs #1412365 and #1715339, also causing #1714278)
- Fix “Open recent” not including files with special characters on Windows. (Bug #629608)
- File extension was sometimes omitted when adding saved files to Windows’ list of “recently used documents” resulting in unusable links ()
- Do not crash on systems with illegal fontconfig configurations. (Bug #1716516)
- Resolve issues when attempting to save files to non-existing directories. Could happen for shortcuts.xml (Bug #1719629) and when setting the autosave location manually.
- Allow cancellation of bitmap export. (Bug #1195929)
- Fix issues with PDF+LaTeX export: wrong stacking of text/graphics, missing pages in PDF output (Bugs #771957, #1417470)
- Printing multiple copies of the document resulted in one copy and many blank pages (Bug #490866, #1733424)
- Fix export area when exporting single objects to SVG using the
--export-idcommand line switch (Bug #1306662, #1707368)
- Fix DXF output and Windows vector print scaling for documents with a custom view box (Bug #1672066)
- Invalid output generated from extensions no longer makes Inkscape crash (gitlab commit)
- The Ruler Live Path Effect now shows correct measurements in the default template (and other non-px-based templates), too (Bug #1460858)
- The Document Properties dialog now has a more compact layout, so all items should be accessible on smaller screens (Bug #1510831)
Install Inkscape On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Using PPA.
Open your termimal and execute the following command to install inkscape on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS using PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install inkscape